For effective SEO and successful work in the field of digital marketing, you need to use various SEO-tools. To do this, you can use both free tools from Google’s arsenal and professional paid services that make your work more effective. SEMrush is one of the most popular SEO-tools. We will find out how this tool works, what capabilities and features it has, and how it can be useful for the development of a project or business.
What is SEMrush and How Does It Work?
SEMrush is a multifunctional tool that allows you to solve many problems in the field of SEO, digital and internet marketing, including:
- Selection of keywords
- Domain analysis (own and competitors)
- Tracking traffic and other site metrics
- Backlink analysis
- Content Marketing
- Social media marketing
- Search for ideas for content
- Local SEO
- Help in developing a marketing and SEO strategy and much more, which we will cover in this article
Today, according to the SEMrush company, which was founded in 2008, the number of service users has reached 6 million, which makes the tool one of the most popular in its segment. The service database contains over 20 billion keywords and 31,782 billion backlinks. Here is the SEMrush start page:
Let’s see how this service works, its individual tools, and functions in more detail. The first group of SEMrush tools belongs to the Competitive Research section.
1. Domain Overview is one of the most popular and commonly used SEMrush features:
Here you can see general and detailed information about the domain such as the following:
- Authority score
- Organic search traffic, which also shows the number of keywords used
- Paid search traffic with the number of keywords
- Display Advertising – How many Google ads have been placed
You can also graphically see the dynamics of traffic, both organic and paid, the dynamics of organic words, main keywords, etc. Data is provided for the previous month. It is possible to simultaneously check up to 3 competing sites for comparison. In this case, their data will be presented in digital and graphical values:
A general overview is useful for regularly monitoring the status of your site or the site of competitors. T is important for comparing or quickly reviewing a large number of sites of competitors, and customers in order to get enough information without going into too much detail.
It should also be noted that when analyzing competitors’ sites, a section with keywords can be especially useful. For amazon.com, the top keywords look like this:
By regularly tracking the keywords that drove competitors to high positions and brought traffic, you can quickly make adjustments to the keywords used in your content.
Continuing with the SEMrush review, let’s look at the next four tools related to the first section. These provide more granular and detailed information on the items that can be seen in the general domain overview.
2. Traffic Analytics: This tool shows information for the past month and also allows you to track the dynamics of traffic for 6 months to the entire existence of the site. The indicators include the following:
- Unique visitors
- Avg. visit duration
- Bounce rate
As with the previous tool, you can add up to 3 competing sites here and see comparison charts.
3. Organic Research: This tool shows how much traffic a site has received from Google, as well as how it has changed over the different time periods of its existence. For example, the traffic analysis for apple.com of all-time since 2012 looks like this:
You can see that the sharp increase in traffic occurred in mid-2015, and the peak in traffic was in February 2018:
You can also see the number of keywords that were used to get this result on the page:
In fact, some experts such as Brian Dean from Backlinko, do not consider these statistics particularly relevant or useful for SEO because it is more quantitative than qualitative. However, this information can be useful for analysts and those who work with statistics.
The next window at the top of the page shows traffic data:
Many experts are skeptical about this indicator. Brian Dean does not consider this data to be accurate enough:
According to him, this metric can be useful in order to measure and track competitors’ traffic.
The Traffic Cost section is an interesting metric that shows how much you would need to spend for PPC to get the same traffic metric:
In our apple.com example, site owners would have to shell out $271.7 million to get this kind of traffic dynamics.
The positions section shows which keywords and where exactly the site is ranked, this section is very useful in terms of competitor analysis and keyword search:
The volume column can also be useful because you can select the best keywords from a list of words on a competitor’s site or on a specific page with certain content that you would like to do the same. If we are talking about fresh or evergreen content, it would be advisable to track the words that had the highest volume over the last month.
You can also use Advanced Filter in this section, configuring it in accordance with what is most relevant to you:
The last two boxes at the top of the page are Branded Traffic and Non-branded traffic, which allow you to track the brand’s presence in traffic. This can be especially important for marketers and advertisers.
In general, this toolkit from SEMrush allows you to effectively select keywords, ideas for content, and conduct a comprehensive analysis of sites and their performance.
4. Keyword Gap is a tool for analyzing the keywords that are used on your site and the site of competitors. It is enough to enter the domain addresses in the tool windows, and the graph will show the coincidence and cross-use of the same words:
In this case, the example turned out to be unsuccessful because Meizu primarily focuses on the Asian market and most of the keywords used on meizu.com were in Chinese. Therefore, the intersection turned out to be very small and not at all indicative.
5. Service for analyzing backlinks on your site and the sites of competitors is another option. Similar to the previous service, you need to enter the domain addresses in the boxes, and get the results:
These are the next group of tools relates to Keyword research. When using them, you will be able to select or create the keywords needed for your site or specific content. Read more in the article – How to Do Keyword Research. Let’s consider each one separately.
- Keyword Overview: When you enter a word, a combination of words, or several words and their combinations, the tool provides the following data to assess the prospects of the keyword or words:
- Trends: how popular the search was among users over the past 12 months
- Keyword Difficulty in%: the difficulty index shows how difficult it is for a new site to rank on the first page of search results using these words, the higher the indicator, the more difficult it is.
- Cost per click in USD
- Competitive Density is the degree of competition between advertisers who use this keyword in their PPC campaigns, ranging from 0 to 1, where 1 is the maximum difficulty level.
- SERP Features: options for how the information will be displayed on the SERP, different from the standard display methods.
- Results: the number of URL results that were shown on the SERP using this keyword.
Let’s check how the result will look for organic food keywords as an example:
This tool can also be used for several keywords at the same time. In this case, the summary result will be shown as a table:
2. Keyword Magic Tool. A tool for selecting keywords and phrases. To get started, you need to enter a word or phrase and the program will offer many options that you can use both for creating content and for the ideas themselves for writing articles and other types of content. For example, the Keyword Magic Tool for the words Yoga Studio offered almost 44 thousand variants of keywords and phrases. Their total volume was 367.4 thousand:
When working with Keyword Magic Tool, you can use the Advanced Filters functions and customize the selection of words in accordance with the criteria of interest:
Keyword Manager is a program that allows you to save found keywords, data, ideas, and other information from SEMrush to make your work easier. The tool is especially useful if the specialist deals with several projects at the same time.
Organic Traffic Insights: As SEMrush says in the description of this service, “An easy “not provided” keyword solution combining Google Analytics, Search Console, and SEMrush data”. After entering the domain address in the line, you need to connect your Google account to the SEMrush service:
It is important that the account is connected to Google Analytics. After, the program will analyze and provide data on which keywords and which landing pages bring the most organic…